Monday, February 14, 2011

Truffles For My Valentine

I bought some truffles with a gift card from my favorite store today and they reminded me of a truffle I had a few years ago, which I'll never forget. These were a traditional truffle, there was nothing unique about them but I was inspired to make some and take them to my husband for our Valentine celebration tomorrow (today).

I googled around and picked the first recipe I looked at. The recipe called for Ghirardelli chocolate, I was hooked right then. Also they seemed rather easy and had great reviews at http://www.allrecipes.com/ .


For these amazing truffles I needed only 4 ingredients:




1/3 c Heavy cream
1/3 stick of real Unsalted butter
1/2 bag Dark or semi-sweet chocolate
Cocoa Powder
The cocoa powder isn't in this picture because it isn't time yet. It has a very special part to play. I'll tell you about it when your older.


Anyhow, to begin the truffles you need step one.

Step 1: Melt cream and butter together in a small sauce pan, like so:

Step 2: Add to the cream and butter, the chocolate chips, like so:





Step 3: Stir until combined and smooth, like so:





It's smoothing, its getting there.



Step 4: Pour into dish, like so:







Step 5: Allow to cool for a couple of hours in the fridge. I can't show you that part. It's very sacred and can only been seen by the Chocolatier.

Step 6: Use a melon baller or spoon to make the cooled chocolate into ball shapes. I suggest the melon baller and you'll want to remember to twist it, not scrape it like ice-cream. If the chocolate isn't firm enough put it back in the fridge or into the freezer for a few minutes.

Once you have about 24 small balls (from the small end of the melon baller), you'll need your extra special ingredient: the cocoa powder!



Step 7: Scoop out about 1/3 of a cup of this into a very small bowl with a round bottom, not like a ramekin. Because my truffles were rather bitter (due to the 60% Cocoa I used) I opted to add a bit of powdered sugar to the cocoa powder, maybe 2 tablespoons. Blend these together and drop your first truffle ball in, roll it around and get it nice and covered, like so:









Step 8: Grab a dish to serve them in, a treat box give them in, or a lidded container to save them for later in. I made a little treat box for sending them to work with my Valentine, like so:



You can't see the lid, it's clear.
I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day, I know I did, I hope to have an even better Valentine's Day tomorrow!



1 comment: