Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Granola

I made granola today and I documented the whole process for you! By the time you finish reading this you'll realize how easy it is and you'll be inspired to make your own!
In a sauce pan on low heat combine brown sugar, honey, peanut butter, vanilla, and coconut oil. Melt it together and remove from heat.

Next I measured out the dry ingredients: I used a 9 grain oat type blend, slivered almonds, dark chocolate chips, cinnamon, and salt. Though I am positive the salt could have been tossed out.

I always think the salt is unnecessary.


Mix it all up - except the chocolate chips.

Now pour the sugary mixture over the dry mix and stir it up.


Here I am just-a-stirrin'. I wanted you to get a chance to see my new hair! Maybe I'll give you a step-by-step post on that too! Anyway, onto the chocolate. (PS, that's blouse #2!)

After you stir it you can add the chocolate chips. I waited to add them because I didn't want the warm stuff to melt them all away. Mine melted anyway.


Maybe you can't see it here but there were some obvious chocolate streaks on my bowl when I poured it all into the lined 9 x 13 dish. I would recommend a cookie sheet instead of the dish and skip the lining if you're oiling your pan, which I suggest that you do.

Spread it all out and stick it right in to your pre-heated oven. Give it about 15 to 25 minutes depending on how deep your pile of crunch is and pop it out. It wont be crunchy just yet though, that will come after it cools. It will still be delicious! Go ahead and taste it!


This isn't burnt, do you notice there are no chocolate chips? I stirred them all in. I had to, I'm a compulsive stir-er. Anyway, I really liked the affect it had on the granola, or is it effect? That gets me every time. The melted chocolate made for bigger chunks and a chocolate-all-over kind of flavor. Which I liked.


I made a second batch without the chocolate chips, and added some coconut flakes. It turned out great, but not as chunky. I really loved the flavor so the missing chunks weren't a deal breaker. I'll be making this again. Either way, or both ways!

Would you like the recipe?
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 c peanut butter
3 T virgin coconut oil*
2 T honey
1 T vanilla
2 c oats
1/2 c slivered almonds
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt (or not)
3/4 c chocolate chips
Combine the wet ingredients in a med sauce pan and stir over low heat just until melted. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a med bowl combine the dry ingredients. Include the chocolate chips if you don't mind them melted or exclude them if you'd like to have whole chocolate chunks in your cereal.
Once the dry ingredients are combined then add the wet and stir it all in.
Pour mixture onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. As the granola cools it will also become crunchy, so don't over cook it just because it's soft. If you'd like to keep your chocolate in the chip form, then don't stir the granola until it has cooled completely.
I found that the only ingredients I didn't have on hand were the oats and the almonds. I almost always have oatmeal but we use it up quickly. Nuts don't stand a chance in this house so I wasn't surprised that I needed those. Since this was so easy to make and calls for such common ingredients I was happy to make a double batch. I'm happy that I did!

Enjoy!

*If you need information about the benefits of coconut oil and where to find it, leave a comment below with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

4 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I think that I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious! I put a little of each in my bowl so I get the chocolate and the coconut, scrumptious and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally trying this recipe! We all love you cousin Amy!!! :0) Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, I'm confused... was that Acacia or Darlene?? :) Just kidding! I love you ALL too!

    ReplyDelete