Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fried Eggplant

My dear friend came to visit the other day and arrived bearing gifts from her garden, and from the produce department as it turns out. Gifts of jalepenos, limes, grapefruit, and ... eggplant! I love eggplant yet I rarely purchase the stuff. So it sat, looking like treasure, in my fruit basket for a day or two until today, when I was inspired to fry it.







I wanted to try this without getting my hopes up. I wanted to see what would happen if I wasn't shooting for spectacular. So I tossed together some whole wheat flour, some italian seasonings, garlic, and salt. I sliced the eggplant very thin, splashed it into some egg and dipped it in the flour mixture. Once it was in the skillet I left it just long enough to cook the breading and to crisp up, then I piled it on a plate and sampled the results. After that I sang the Hallelujah chorus and called in my resident taste tester who agreed that it was delicious.


1 Eggplant, sliced thin - approx 1/8 inch slices
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c pizza or Itallian seasoning
1 t garlic - more if you love it
Pink Himalayan salt, use your best guess here since I didn't measure the salt.
2 eggs, beaten
Coconut Oil for frying - I didn't deep fry it, just enough to pan fry.

Now then, put your eggs in a bowl and beat them, next to that put your flour mixture on a plate or in a bowl, use about 2 teaspoons of oil for a med skillet. Between batches I wipe my skillet out with a folded paper towel to keep the burned crumbs from making the next batch gross.



Happy chomping!


No comments:

Post a Comment