Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'd Rather be Fishing...

The top 10 Things I'd rather be doing than cheating on my husband:
10.Shopping at the mall.
9. Shoveling snow.
8. Cleaning the bathtub
7. Working out.
6. Paying bills.
5. Watching paint dry.
4. Picking my toenails.
3. Going to see a movie.
2. Reading a book.
1. Hanging with my girlfriends.

You see, I spent years dreaming, wishing, hoping, and most of all, praying to have a second chance to be with this man. To love him, to honor him, to be his wife, to love his children, and to kiss his lips again is more than I thought possible. We were talking tonight about how UN-interested we are in any other person(s) and how strange it seems that people have extra-marital affairs, and how there are a million other things in our lives that we'd rather be doing than sneaking around on each other. I think his top three went like this:
3. Working out at the gym.
2. Watching TV
1. Eating Chinese food.

Me, being me, I laid in bed thinking beyond the top three. I wanted more. I could go further than 10, but I think you get the picture. I realized, there in the dark, that prayer works. I spent years praying that our relationship could be restored. I gave up a few time along the way and sometimes I thought I would never feel those lips on mine again. I wouldn't trade him for anything, or anyone. I will thank God for him everyday, as long as I live.

That's not to say that we haven't had our low points. We have, just like any other couple. We know how problems develop. We go out of our way to avoid the extra big ones, like suspicion or jealousy. We call each other all the time, we always text when we have a spare minute. We don't go out with our buddies and drink. We tell each other what we plan to do and when we plan to be done. We come home right after work or play and we are happy to. It's not like we feel like we have to, it's more like we want each other to know. To know about our days, to know about our experiences, and to know we never want to make each other worry. We also pray for each other, and with each other. We have Christian friends who are also married and interested in being good Christian spouses. We have relationships with our in-laws and we talk about our dreams and our future. We keep each other in mind when we think about what to wear. He likes to wear the colors I love on him, I try to buy things I think he'll appreciate. I don't wear things that reveal what is only for my husband, and he doesn't ask me to. We've only been married a little over 4 years, but we plan to make a strong foundation on which to build the rest of our lives. When we met in high school, he was so cute and he was everything I could have dreamed up. He was funny and silly and respectful and he had the best smile. He loved my family, sometimes more than I wanted him to. My little brother got to hang out with us more times than I would have liked. My mom and dad loved him. He went to boot camp with my sister, and she told him first when she found out she was pregnant. He fit right in, and he still does. Most of all, he's still everything I've ever wanted and I'd rather do anything than let him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment