Friday, November 19, 2010

My Sacrifice?

Is it really much of a sacrifice though? We'll have to see.

The night of the women's rally at church, that I blogged about here, I had a thought. I thought about all the clothes hanging in my closet that I never wear, I thought about all the clothes that I do wear, and about the clothes that so many don't have.

Our nation is one of great affluence and excess, we all know. The problem is that we do nothing about our indulgence, even when we hear or read of the poverty that many nations face. So I decided to make a change in my life, To challenge myself for 1 year. I will chose a few items of clothing (the exact number hasn't yet been settled upon) and wear only those clothes for the next year.
I think I will start with 5 tops, 3 pants, 1 skirt, 1 dress shoe, one tennis shoe, 1 seasonal for daily wear, 7 undies, 1 pj set, 1 hoodie, 1 winter coat, 1 scarf, 1 set of gloves, my wedding ring, and no other jewelry. This still is so much more than minimum. I will keep 5 (or 10?) other tops that I already own and donate the rest of my clothing to Project Rescue or some other local organization. Things will come up I am sure, that will require some thought and decision. I am sure there will be Christmas gifts or birthday gifts that will be clothing. I will have to give some thought to what to do about that, before it happens. I want this to be a sacrifice, I want to feel it. After 6 months I may re-evaluate and give up more items (go down to 3 shirts from 5 or something). We'll wait and see. For the season change I might exchange one pair of jeans for a pair of shorts, I can't decide if that should be allowed or not.
It's time to start picking my clothes and bagging up the rest.
I want to start this Thanksgiving Day, it seems appropriate. The captain has said he'd like to do it with me. Obviously uniforms for work have to be excluded, I don't wear one but my Captain America does. I'll post pics of the items I decide to wear for the next 12 months, just for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment