Saturday, October 2, 2010

Air Force Reserves ~ Drill Weekend

My husband is in the Air Force Reserves and right now he's on active duty. That means he works for the Air Force full time rather than just one weekend a month plus 2 weeks in a year. He's active duty while he's training for his military job, he spent 10 weeks in Florida and will train another 9 months at Whiteman AFB here in Missouri. That's only about a couple of hours from where we live. Although he is on active duty and working full time for the Reserves, he still has to attend his drill weekends as usual. He came home from Florida and had leave for 7 days starting the Thursday before last, this weekend is drill weekend.
Yesterday it was hard for me to let him walk out the door. I don't know why. When he left for weeks and weeks in Florida, it really wasn't that hard. I knew I'd miss him but that he'd be back and the time would fly. It wasn't like he was shipping out for months. This time I guess it just felt like he was to close to home to be missing. What I really wanted was to stomp my feet and shake my fists and make him stay. Most jobs, let alone military jobs, don't really work that way. So I came along. I'm hiding under his desk in the lab where he works right now. No, not really, actually I've been hanging out at his hotel all day waiting for him to come back. Even if I have had to loaf around all day, eat a nice hot breakfast, take long hot showers, wash my hair twice, read books, play around online, eat out for lunch, and, worst of all, swim in the pool and sit in the hot tub. It's really been a miserable day. I think I'll come along and suffer next time too.
I love drill weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment